Wednesday, March 02, 2005

But what if it's working?

Here's a transcript of the Daily Show from James Tarranto and Best of the Web (lengthy cut, but there's more. Read it.) The interview is with a former Clinton aid and admitted big "D" Democrat:
Soderberg: The truth always helps in these things, I have to say. But I think that there is also going on in the Middle East peace process--they may well have a chance to do a historic deal with the Palestinians and the Israelis. These guys could really pull off a whole--
Stewart: This could be unbelievable!
Soderberg:---series of Nobel Peace Prizes here, which--it may well work. I think that, um, it's--
Stewart: [buries head in hands] Oh my God! [audience laughter] He's got, you know, here's--
Soderberg: It's scary for Democrats, I have to say.
Stewart: He's gonna be a great--pretty soon, Republicans are gonna be like, 'Reagan was nothing compared to this guy.' Like, my kid's gonna go to a high school named after him, I just know it.
Soderberg: Well, there's still Iran and North Korea, don't forget. There's hope for the rest of us. {Is she serious?! Is she hoping that NK and/or Iran nuke us?}
Stewart: [crossing fingers] Iran and North Korea, that's true, that is true [audience laughter]. No, it's--it is--I absolutely agree with you, this is--this is the most difficult thing for me to--because, I think, I don't care for the tactics, I don't care for this, the weird arrogance, the setting up. But I gotta say, I haven't seen results like this ever in that region.
Soderberg: Well wait. It hasn't actually gotten very far. I mean, we've had--
Stewart: Oh, I'm shallow! I'm very shallow!
Soderberg: There's always hope that this might not work. No, but I think, um, it's--you know, you have changes going on in Egypt; Saudi Arabia finally had a few votes, although women couldn't participate. What's going on here in--you know, Syria's been living in the 1960s since the 1960s--it's, part of this is--"
This is vaguely familiar. Didn't they minimize Reagan's influence on the fall of the Soviet Union by suggesting that "other" factors and people had influence? We all know that Ronald Reagan didn't topple the USSR by himself. It took many years and countless people to win the cold war. But Ronald Reagan 'closed the deal'. We'll have to wait and see about peace and democracy in the middle east and George Bush's place in history.

No comments: