Friday, January 28, 2005

This Just In: The Progressive magazine

Well, it's been a while since I've posted anything and I was beginning to think I may not have the desire anymore. Maybe I was just caught up in the election frenzy and rhetoric. Then I clicked on my link to The Progressive and found this:
"Bush's Inaugural Address contained many explicit references to God, but there were even more hidden allusions to the Bible that may have been lost to many in his audience, as they were to me, before I did some research.

The subtle subtext of his speech carries with it a profoundly disturbing message about the separation of church and state in this country."
Now, if I had the time - and the paranoia of Matthew Rothschild - I would research ALL the inaugural speeches from the past looking for biblical references. My guess is that we'd all be surprised by the frequency. I probably would have to look no further than Bill Clinton's efforts in this research to find multiple references.

We are, and always have been, a nation formed by Christian values. We also - or I should say our forefathers - had the foresight to write a Constitution that forbids the government from establishing a national religion, or preventing anyone from freely practicing their own religion. That doesn't mean we can't openly refer to, cite or talk about religion. They are beliefs. Just like certain liberal beliefs that I personally don't believe in, but I don't demand that they be censored!

No comments: