Saturday, February 05, 2005

Self-indulgence: Why the Left Protests

Once again, Thomas Sowell calls it like he sees it - and gets it right:

"The media dignify these outbursts by calling them 'protests' but what are they protesting?

That they lost the election? Doesn't somebody always lose an election? Did the Republicans take to the streets when Bill Clinton was elected?

Are the shouters and the rioters protesting that they disagree with President Bush's policies? Isn't that why we hold elections in the first place -- because people disagree? "


I have seen too many scowl faced citizens emerge from their cars, mini-vans and, yes, even SUV's that still carry the Kerry/Edwards bumber stickers. These people not only look sad, they look angry. They look mad.

In addition, we have one citizen who has taken to protesting the Bush administration and, more specifically, the war on terror, with '60's type banners and symbolic signs in her front yard. This started with the "Defend America, Defeat Bush!" hand painted banner draped across the 2nd story porch rail prior to the election and has evolved to a banner(s) representing the number of dead American soldiers in Iraq. This unilateral representation of the struggle echoes another Sowell piece about the media - but more about the other battle we face: ourselves.

I've often thought about knocking on the door of this person to ask if we could have a discussion about each other's views. I've never acted on this thought and, given the description of the others I've seen noted above - the "scowlers" - I don't think it wise. I see little if any opportunity to have a calm, reasonable discussion with these people. I fear that it would too quickly descend to a yelling match with little accomplished.

I don't see these people as being willing to hear another's point of view - exactly what they claim is THE PROBLEM with the Bush Administration. I can empathize with them. I wasn't exactly thrilled with our country's previous administration. I was worried about the damaging effects that policy and appointments made during that time were having and would have in the future. But I, as well as many others, chose a different path - not one of public protest or civil disobedience.

Therefore, we do have differences. There is a right and a left. There are red states and blue states, conservative and liberal perspectives. But there is also a broad middle area where some of us can agree to disagree and be okay with it.

So, come on everyone. Take off the Kerry/Edwards stickers (I had my Bush/Quayle and Dole/Kemp signs and stickers gone in a week!) Open your minds - not change them. And let's get back to being civil.

No comments: