Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Unnatural Gas Prices

The WSJ has an opinion piece discussing the issue of high energy costs. It does a great job of explaining the impact that the "enviros" continue to have on the entire energy distribution channel - from production to distribution:
"The larger political problem here is that the public hasn't been told about the connection between high prices and political opposition to energy production. President Bush used his press conference again last week to push the 'energy independence' argument, which does well in opinion polls but is a pipe dream in the real world. Short of a breakthrough in hydrogen technology, we are fated to import large amounts of energy. The real issue is whether we maintain enough energy production, and import capacity, to allow adequate supplies and
reasonable prices."
One area that the piece doesn't address is the underlying desire of most in the "enviros" groups to have us all make changes in our lifestyle to reduce our consumption. Since many of us "can't see the light" and make those changes on our own, their hopes are that higher costs will force us to adopt those practices they deem acceptable. I 've been asked, "At what point will I change my driving habits as gas prices rise?" to which I can only respond, "Never. I make 'changes' every day based on many "choices" I make given what I need and what I want." Artificially raising prices (through taxation or regulation) to forward an agenda some think is preferable, will only enrage those of us that believe in the free market.

No comments: