Friday, November 05, 2004

Comments from the Left XIII

Why Americans Hate Democrats..., by Jane Smiley:
"I say forget introspection. It's time to be honest about our antagonists. My predecessors in this conversation are thoughtful men, and I honor their ideas, but let's try something else. I grew up in Missouri and most of my family voted for Bush, so I am going to be the one to say it: The election results reflect the decision of the right wing to cultivate and exploit ignorance in the citizenry. I suppose the good news is that 55 million Americans have evaded the ignorance-inducing machine. But 58 million have not. (Well, almost 58 million-my relatives are not ignorant, they are just greedy and full of classic Republican feelings of superiority.)"
I said when I started this series I didn't know how long it would last. It appears, with help from the left, it may go on for some time. I encourage it. Was it Napoleon who said something like, "When the enemy is trying to hang themselves, don't interrupt them."?

No comments: