Saturday, November 06, 2004

A MUST read for ALL Americans

Open Letter To The Democratic Party: How You Could Have Had My Vote:
"So, if you want my vote next time, and the vote of all my close friends, and the millions more like us that you refuse to believe exists, it's pretty simple: take positions and don't waffle on them. Stand up for America, especially with regard to terrorism. Shut up about what Germany and France think. Stop pretending that the only way to become wealthy in America is to cheat, for the sake of those of us who still want to get there. Treat the President with at least as much civility, if not respect, as you would've wanted right-wingers to give a President Kerry. Most importantly, please, please please, please, please, please stop abusing me. No more verbal and psychological and emotional savagery. Treat me like a voter whose vote you would actually appreciate getting, and you will get it."
I encourage you to follow the link and read the whole letter.

This is a voice of a person on the edge of the Democratic roof. Her profile: educated; single; late 20's; hard-working; has career goals; has religious beliefs but not evangelical; believes in the human spirit; has a healthy skepticism; etc.

I see a person at the proverbial age of 'awakening' or American 'enlightenment'. I don't like these words, but I hope you get my point. As we mature, we move from idealism and self-absorption, to responsibility and realism. We often marry and have children. Our self-absorption expands to include a spouse and children. Our parents start looking like real people - when did they get so smart? We work and pay for things we not only want - but need.

The challenge in this example: As a Democrat - save her. Keep her from jumping. As a Republican - call her home and make sure the landing is soft. The party that doesn't drive off to the extremes of their party, will have the better chance.

No comments: