Saturday, November 20, 2004

Comments from the Left XVII

This article in the NY Observer was forwarded by a niece with the comment "for those of us in the middle". I think it does a good job of defining the 'middle' on a number of issues. I think if the Republican party moves too far to the right (too many on the left already scream that it has), especially toward evangelical causes, there will be letters from Republicans that look a lot like this Democrat's:

"Lest this sound like gloating, I confess to having a pronoun problem here, and will hereby switch from 'you' to 'we.' I voted for John Kerry. As a liberal separation-of-church-and-state type, I don't like the idea of a President who owes his political life to a conservative religious base. I can't fathom George Bush's policies on the economy and the environment. As for Iraq, while I find nothing of genius in the Democrats' prescriptions at this point, I find astonishing the idea that the administration's performance there is, on balance, something to reward rather than something to punish.

Curiously, then, it is not the party I voted against that is driving me nuts right now. It is the party I voted for. It's the same feeling that I got about the Democrats after 2000: I agree with them, but I can't stand them, in the exact same way I can't stand anyone who would rather whine than shine."'


No comments: