Monday, June 19, 2006

At what cost?

Venezuela offers help in the US - Milwaukee, Chicago and the Northeast - in the form of free eye surgery and discounted heating oil:
"The natural question is whether we would work with the Venezuelan government, which is not a close ally of the United States,' Barrett said. 'My view is that if we can improve communications and help our people at the same time, I would support that, with the emphasis on helping our people."
On the surface, this appears to be a wonderful, humanitarian gesture. The skeptic in me, however, is jumping up and down screaming "NO"! I am not an expert in Venezuelan history or their current political condition. I am familiar with Chavez and his heroes. Even if (and that's a huge IF) Chavez's intentions are purely magnanimous, and his governing style is not dictatorial (right!), it has yet to be demonstrated that reliance upon government for all a citizens needs to be met, can work.

No comments: