Monday, June 05, 2006

Self-mutilation rampant at 2 Ivy League schools

Okay. I think the term "rampant" used by MSNBC.com is pushing it a bit...
"It was part of waking up, getting dressed, the last look in the mirror and then the cut on the wrist. It got to be where I couldn't have a perfect day without it," Rodey said.
...but, I will say this has been around for some time. My wife had a 'friend' in college in the early to mid-80's who used to fake attacks on her to gain attention. At one point, she went into a bathroom at a club, broke her drink glass, starting slashing her hands, arms and face and then ran out screaming that she was being attacked. The police were called and immediately saw through the story. When they explained all the tell-tale signs, my wife and friends were amazed - not only by how someone could do that to themselves, but also how the police were able to recognize it.

No comments: