Saturday, September 18, 2004

Schools fall short of progress standards: The message is missed on some

An article in today's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that 123 schools fall short of progress standards. On the surface, this get many reactions (included in the story) from "criticism of the "No Child Left Behind Law" as being impractical to appreciation for how the law can spur schools to identify areas where they could improve." My personal reactions falls in line with the latter statement.

The law, and the resulting reports that shed light on the subject of performance, allows us to focus our attention and resources where the need is. This is echoed by a number of officials cited in the story. I don't view the law or it's standards as punitive - as some have claimed. Those who "lambasted the federal law for its "unrealistic standards that can't be achieved,"..." should reconsider their career. I know I wouldn't want my child in an environment that says "can't".

The defense this individual quoted above cites: special education. This is a common theme throughout the story and is raised a primary reason/excuse for not achieving standards. The question I have, that isn't asked in articles like this, is why do we see ever increasing numbers of students in special education programs? Being the skeptic I am, I believe a contributing factor to this phenomenon is money. Not exactly an Einstein moment since most things relate to money - especially in schools. If a child is enrolled in the special education curriculum of the school or school district, the school/district gets more money. The more students in SE, the more money.

Don't get me wrong. I am not in favor of slashing public school budgets nor am I pointing blame at individuals - especially the hard working teachers who operate in the current system. I do believe, however, that taxpayers deserve to get value for their money and a return on investment. For schools, that means graduates who can read, write and perform basic math.

No comments: